Thursday, August 26, 2010

Jeggings?

I haven't really been out shopping for clothes since October, but I still try to keep an eye out for what's in fashion, for the time when I can get out again. This morning my inbox was full of sales fliers for various shops, and they were all hawking the latest wonder, a garment called "jeggings". Depending on which description one prefers, these are either leggings that are fashioned to resemble jeans, or jeans which have been made out of lycra-blend material like leggings. I like leggings, and I love jeans (the tighter the better!), but I wonder if these new things aren't like a rock star get-up from the Eighties. All of the layouts I've seen them in pair them with tunics or long coats and high heels, both of which I already like, and the combination emphasizes my legs, which are still one of my best features.

Via my email, I see these are available at Dots (not around here) and Torrid (not here either), but also available through Newport News. I came downstairs just before leaving for work, and my niece was wearing a pair. She raved about them, and said I should go for it, but she's sixteen, and what's cool for kids like her may not fly on a thirtysomething like me.

Another thing that bugs me is the name. I'm not unused to contractions and combined words, but the rough compression of the "j" sound up against those hard "g's" sticks in my mouth. It does not roll trippingly off the tongue. That's just a minor nitpick, though.

Dare I to try them?

2 comments:

  1. I was just looking at several pair today at different stores. I must say that I think if I find the right pair I'm definitely going to go for it. Sure, my legs already look like toothpicks in my many skinny jeans, but what's a little "skinnier?" I say try them on, and if it's a no go, then you can always return them. I've seen a lot of people totally rock them and am confident you could too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought leggings yesterday.
    My girlfriend Carla bought them though and loves them. I have looked for them, but havent seen them out yet and I'm wondering if they are directed at girls size 6 and under. I will have a pair and I think you should too!

    ReplyDelete