Friday, January 8, 2010

Ma'am

I went for a walk today. It was cold, but it's been like that all week. I've gone a little stir-crazy the last couple of days. I got my paycheck today, so I had a little money in my pocket, and decided to run out to the store and pick up a couple of things.

I bundled up: hoodie and a big coat, over jeans and a tee. Once I got outside, I flipped up the hoodie hood, and pulled on a pair of gloves. The gloves are kind of cool. The fingers are trimmed off at the first knuckle, and there's a mitten section that's stuck the back of the hand. If it gets too cold, the mitten sections can be flipped forward over the fingertips and snugged into place. I don't think my outfit was too feminine, but what do I know?

I walked the couple of blocks out of the neighborhood, toward Olde Town. I started to walk along the river, but I thought better of that when I got a taste of the wind. Yikes! Turned down Court Street and hurried over to High, where there's a Dollar General. I went in to get a bag of mints and some razors, but ended up with a couple of paperback books. While I was looking over the book rack, a gentleman edged past me and said, "Excuse me, ma'am." I still had my hood up, and from the back, I can only imagine what I looked like. I mumbled out something that was meant to sound like "Certainly" and he went past.

A few minutes later, I got in line behind the guy to check out. He looked back for a second, saw me, and this weird look passed over his face. Then he turned around, and nothing more was said.

No comments:

Post a Comment