Sunday, January 25, 2009

Movie Night

So here I was, on my third weekend off in a row, with no plans for my nights off. I emailed around to see if anyone was doing anything, and ended up hooking up with my friend Debbie. We had a nice, casual dinner (Red Robin), then went to the movies, where we saw 'Gran Torino'. This is the latest film starring and directed by Clint Eastwood. It's a beautiful story, not quite what I was expecting.

While we were at dinner, Debbie corrected my language once. I should have said, "May I", instead of "Let me". This wasn't the first time she's reproached me on something I did or said, that wasn't ladylike. We were at a club last year, waiting to get into the ladies room (one toilet). When I got my turn, in the interest of speed and trying to be considerate of the ladies behind me, I peed standing up. I was wearing jeans. My male genitalia are functional, despite being useless. I got out of the bathroom in record time. I told Debbie what I'd done, and she acted like I'd sinned or something. Apparently, I was supposed to pee sitting down, even though no one could see me, and no one would have known, otherwise.

On a related note, I've been thinking about something all week. I attended a meeting of the Richmond-area James River Transgender Society last April. One of the members there gave a presentation on the importance of planning transition. She gave a step-by-step plan of how she transitioned. This lady is of an old school. She talked about moving to new community, changing jobs, cutting ties with people and finding new, more feminine hobbies. I don't have many hobbies, but I don't want to give any of them up. I'm an aircraft nut, and I love to go to airshows and take pictures. I take lots of pictures, and not just of planes. I love video games. I am a mediocre player, but I love the "Halo" series. Give all that up and take up knitting? I don't think so.