Monday, April 13, 2009

Another Magazine Story

I have a subscription to Esquire. I've been reading the magazine since the early 90s, and I've been a subscriber for about eight years. When I was younger, and still wrapped up in trying to be a man, I read this magazine religiously. It was like a bible of masculinity. There are a ton of men's magazines out there. I picked up this one when most of my fellows were reading Maxim, FHM or Stuff. Esquire is like those magazines, but not much. It's written for a more mature audience. Not much more mature (it is written for men, after all).

Anyway, the theme of the May 2009 issue is "How to Be a Man". I'm reading it, but not because I want to be a man. There are some interesting bits in here: a couple of recipes, some interviews with various persons, and a series of very striking portraits. Other than that, I'm overdosing on the testosterone. It is as though I've lost all capacity to be interested in the material. The "Funny Joke from a Beautiful Woman" isn't even funny this month.

I've never been what anyone would call a typical male, anyway. I'm not interested in sports. I can do some basic auto repairs, but I'm happier if I can pay someone else to do it. I'm an airplane nut, but my interest over time has grown away from performance specs towards a purer appreciation based on aesthetical considerations.

No comments:

Post a Comment