Friday, October 30, 2009

Nothing to Wear

Well, not exactly. Halloween is tomorrow. It's generally recognized as the one day out of the year that trans folks can dress any way they please and not get pounded just for being who they are. I've dressed up for Halloween before, but most of those occasions I just wore womens' clothes. Back in those days it was such a thrill just getting out of doors in a skirt that it never occurred to me to wear any sort of costume. If I did think of it, I couldn't afford what I wanted.

My stints in the Ren faire business sort-of spoiled me on costumes. A couple of years ago, when I was a few pounds lighter (and less self-conscious about what I was carrying), I had my heart set on this sexy pirate costume I found in a catalog. My three months out of work killed that dream, and I moved home to live with my parents, to boot, which put a crimp in dressing up for about six months.

Last year, I worked. This year, I decided I needed a release. Unfortunately, my current finances won't support any kind of a fancy costume. I get paid today, sometime, but the funds in this week's check are almost all spoken for. So I'm having to improvise. I was thinking of one of my Purgatory outfits, a corset top with a pleather mini, and boots. Because of the minimist outfit, I'll have to turn the makeup up a notch or two. I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.abrilliantbrunette.com/2009/06/eris-goddess-of-strife.html

I could even use that name, "Eris, Goddess of Strife". That sounded like a winner until I did some reading. Eris is associated with a pseudo-religious philosophy called Discordianism. She even has a symbol, rendered like so:

-)(-

or

-><-

It's called the "Hand of Eris". If I had a little more time and money, I'd try to run down some earrings like that. I still might, sometime down the line. Maybe my thinking's too elaborate. I've got a plaid skirt, and some patent heels... If I can run down a white blouse. Wear one of my longer hair pieces (the strawberry blond, maybe), with the back pulled into pigtails. I've never thought of rocking the naughty schoolgirl look. I am awfully conscious of my size when I wear anything revealing. I'll think of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment