Thursday, February 12, 2009

Here We Go Again

I've been a fan of the Law & Order franchise since the original series premiered on NBC in 1990. I didn't watch it for years, but I started catching reruns on TNT a few years ago, and I caught myself up. Then I got hooked on the spinoff shows, SVU and Criminal Intent. I actually like these shows more than the original (at least with the current crew). SVU has covered transgender stories in the past, and the depictions have been less than flattering. They're back on next week with an episode entitled "Transitions". From the NBC site:

When a man is severely beaten outside a bar, his transgender teen becomes the prime suspect.
Like I said, here we go again. I could be wrong. The writers might have educated themselves since the last time. One can only hope.

3 comments:

  1. I saw this too. SVU is my favorite program. I have a feeling this one will be a little more educating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the preview tonight. I was going by a simple text description. The spot made it seem a little more sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. I hope this time 'round the show does a better job. Mostly, anytime a trans person (invariably a trans woman) is on a crime drama, it's always the same plot--she sleeps with a straight-identified man who doesn't know her trans status, and the guy flips out and kills her.

    The trans woman is always presented as kind of a freak show commodity, and there's always that one Asshole Detective who sympathizes with the killer, and all in all, it's just an icky affair.

    Realized I hadn't actually commented on your blog so thought I'd do so. :)

    Cheers,
    Julian

    ReplyDelete