Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Not With a Bang

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I used to belong to Kappa Beta, the Charlotte, NC-based chapter of Tri-Ess. They were my first support group. They were not the first trans people I ever met, but they were my first taste of a larger community. I had some good times with them, and I learned a lot about myself in the process.

I left the group when I moved back to Virginia. I tried to stay in touch via email, but after a while, my communications seemed to be one-way only. The group maintains two email groups on Yahoo, one public and the other for members. I was dropped off the members' list when my membership expired last winter, but I stayed on the public group for a while, just to keep tabs on people. After about a year without hearing from anyone there, I dropped out of the group yesterday.

I suppose it was wishful thinking on my part to assume that someone would notice.