Sunday, May 17, 2009

Movie Review: Star Trek

Go see this movie. That's all for this review.

No. I'm kidding. There's more to this, but I had to condense a lot. I'm not a professional reviewer in any sense of the word, and I wanted to share this movie with others without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it yet. So I won't be telling you about _______. Nor will I give out the secret of _______. I think I'm getting the hang of this. ;)

The movie begins with a bang. Never let anyone say that J.J. Abrams doesn't know how to kick off a story. You get an epic space battle, side by side with a scene that yanks the heartstrings, backed by the requisite stirring score. There are a couple of slow bits after, with character introductions and whatnot. Pretty soon, though, the story kicks into gear and runs straight to the end. There are a couple of nifty fight scenes, some more space combat, and even some romantic stuff.

I never expected to hear the music of the Beastie Boys in a Star Trek movie.

Zoe Saldana as Uhura is HOT!!! The little relationship she has with _____ is nice, too.

All of the characterizations are spot-on. The new actors manage to capture the essence of their characters without directly channeling the original cast members.

There are some great lines. One of my favorites is Karl Urban's (McCoy) from the trailer: "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence!" I've heard complaints that Urban doesn't have more to do in the movie, but I enjoyed his performance. Hell, you learn from him where the nickname "Bones" comes from.

I could go on about this all day, but I'll stop here. Like I said at the beginning: Go see this movie. You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. All of the characterizations are spot-on. The new actors manage to capture the essence of their characters without directly channeling the original cast members.I absolutely agree. And I think it must have been harder to pull off than one might at first think.

    Also? Urban-as-McCoy is totally my pretend boyfriend. *swoon!*

    ReplyDelete