Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Visit from a Friend

I'm at work, on the last of eight nights in a row. Unlike the last time I worked eight, I'm only off for two nights this time, but that's okay. I just had a visitor, and I'm feeling fine.

I don't have a lot of friends, not counting you guys. My work schedule tends to interfere with the usual sorts of social activities, and it's hard to make friends at work when who you work with changes almost weekly. That said, I have managed to make and hold onto a few friends.

Raf is a guy I used to work with here, at this job. I actually did a good chunk of his training, and if I may say so, he turned out pretty well. Raf's family, if you know what I mean, so he's always been pretty cool about me being trans. He think's I'm a cute guy, but hotter as a woman. It was mean, but I used to tease him (good-naturedly) about coming up to the hotel in the middle of the night, all dressed up, and...

Let's not talk about that.

Suffice it to say that I used to drive him nuts.

There were some shakeups in management here, and Raf was getting fed up with his home situation (gay and living with parents who are both ministers) and he requested a transfer to a sister property in North Carolina.

We've talked on the phone a couple of times since he moved, and emailed back and forth, but I wasn't sure I was ever going to see him again. Tonight, he showed up out of the blue. He'd just driven up from NC, and he was on his way to see his family, but he wanted to see me first.

*SIGH*

Color me flattered. I came out of the kitchen and there he was, standing in the middle of the lobby. He didn't visit long, but we chatted for a few minutes, exchanged current phone numbers and hugged. He said he was going to try to come back, but I'm not holding my breath. Since I'm off the next couple of nights, I might see if we can get together sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment