Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Not Yet!

No, I still haven't seen the new Star Trek movie yet. I'm going to, sometime this week, I swear. It's not like I would willingly deprive myself of another geek-out session with theangrychihuahua, or anyone else as wants to go at it. After I get my check this week, I'll go see it. Unless Nate gets his check first. I'll willingly skip a couple hours of sleep for this one.

Everyone says Chris Pine is hot, but I don't think I'll ever be able to get the picture of him as "Darwin Tremor" from Smokin' Aces out of my head. If you haven't seen Smokin' Aces, it's a hot mess of a movie. Jeremy Piven plays Buddy "Aces" Israel, a Vegas show magician with ties to the Mob. Aces is reportedly the target of a mob hit. Ryan Reynolds and Ray Liotta are FBI agents. Ben Affleck and Peter Berg are bail bondsmen. Alicia Keys and Taraji P. Henson are a pair of very hot assassins. Chris Pine and two actors I don't know are the Tremor Brothers, a trio of brain-dead white supremacist hitmen (Say that three times fast) . Then there's a rogues gallery of other assassins, cops, agents, Mafiosi, etc, ad nauseam.

I thought Smokin' Aces was a decent movie until the end, when it just sort of falls apart. The movie goes along in a certain way, rushing towards a conclusion, when a background character comes to the fore and sort-of retells the story of the movie, only the focus has changed. It's the worst example of deus ex machina I've ever seen.

I've always wanted to bitch about that movie.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Star Trek! It's awesome. SO, SO AWESOME. And while I thought Chris Pine was pretty cute, as well as pretty funny, I think I gotta go with Karl Urban for "hot."

    If you want a movie pal, just let me know. I'm definitely up for seeing it again. WHOO!

    ReplyDelete